Initial Restoration of Class 122 - W55003 Including Preservation Videos by by Stuart McDonald
The Class 122s are a class of 20 single car DMUs built in 1958 by The Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon works. W55003 had a delayed withdrawal from British Rail at Penzance on 10th August 1993, which was due to a reprieve in 1987 when six of these units were utilised on diagrams in the West country. After withdrawal the units were sent to Blackpool for storage, and by 19th September 1995, W55003 had been moved to MC Metals in Glasgow for asbestos removal.
W55003 arrived in the ownership of Mr Ian McDonald at the Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway on Saturday 20th January 1996, and thanks to Herculean efforts from volunteers was actually running by 3rd August the same year. The unit was transferred to the Northampton & Lamport Railway in late March 1997.
Kind permission has been given by the McDonald family for Cotswold Diesel Railcar to reproduce the following series of video clips which highlight the early years of preservation for W55003, from its arrival at Chinnor in 1995 thorough to main line running in 2002.
Reproduced from an original DVD entitled “Into Preservation W55001 & W55003” by Stuart McDonald, who has given his permission for these uploads.